Nintendo and iRex gadget excitement
The last few days caused quite some excitement for me because I got aware of some real good news for me and my geeky, childish mind.
First off with Nintendo:
- the Nintendo Wii totally ruled the show
- it's rumoured that it'll ship at around 250$. See the interview with Iwata ("...price won't be significantly higher than Nintendo's prices have been historically...") and a price roundup in a comment at Kontaku. Also there had been an article stating that price on Revolution Report but that site has been replaced (by Nintendo to cover the price?). Perhaps you're lucky and still can find a cached version on Googles cache.
- it'll play NES, SNES, N64 and even some Sega games
- I read somewhere that it'll connect wirelessly with the Gamecube and Nintendo DS, but was unable to dig up that link immediately
Wow. I've been really thinking about pre-ordering the Wii, as soon as it's possible. Another thing I've been thinking of: The controller of the Wii will connect via Bluetooth. Would it be possible to connect it with a standard PC on Windows or Linux using a bluetooth receiver? Could that be possible? Someone to take that idea? Playing Oblivion with the Wii-controller would be incredible. A nice-looking news-site for the Wii seems to be Nintendo Wii News. And this Wii Montage on Google Video pretty much sums up all the fun.
The second gadged is the iRex iLiad:
- it has support for non-DRM-ed content
- LAN/WLAN/USB/SD-MMC/etc. ...
- E-Ink display
- and it'll run on some sorts of Linux
There's a nice coverage on TeleRead: A first look on the iRex Iliad. If it wouldn't have a price around 500$, I'd buy it as soon as possible. But I'll certainly have to think about that again.